Lamb Meatballs with Chickpeas and Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 pounds ground lamb (or 1 pound lamb + 1 pound ground beef; or 2 pounds ground beef)
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers from a jar (4 ounces), preferably Organic Piquillo Peppers
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole-milk yogurt, preferably Greek, plus more for serving
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons La Chinata Smoked Sweet Paprika
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups chickpeas from a jar or can, drained
In a mini food processor, puree the piquillo peppers. Transfer the puree to a bowl and whisk in the broth and 1/2 cup yogurt.
In a large bowl, combine the meat, eggs, garlic, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup parsley, the thyme, and the smoked paprika. Add the 4 teaspoons of kosher salt. Using your hands, gently mix, then roll into sixteen 2-inch meatballs.
In a very large skillet, heat the oil until it is shimmering. Add the meatballs and cook over moderately high heat until the meatballs are browned all over, about 8 minutes. Slide the meatballs to one side of the skillet. Add the piquillo pepper sauce and the chickpeas and bring just to a boil. Simmer the meatballs over moderately low heat, stirring and turning them occasionally in the sauce, until the sauce reduces slightly, about 10 minutes. Season with salt.
Transfer the meatballs and chickpeas to a platter, spoon the piquillo pepper sauce on top, garnish with parsley, and serve with yogurt.
Other recipe ideas:
750 gram (26 ounce) metal tin